09 June 2008

Web 2.0 and Our (Unnamed) System

Thing is, a lot of this Web 2.0 stuff is decentralized and empowering. Unfortunately, those are two things that our (unnamed) system doesn't do too well.

I'm looking at all the libraries that have up Flickr albums of their programs, and I'm imagining the response -- all those photos without written permission! Can't have that!

And all these great ideas about promoting our events and things on blogs and RSS and such...yeah, right! We're not even allowed to use our names, or the name of our system, or branches, or anything like that.

I guess what I'm saying is: it's hard to get excited about Web 2.0 when our corporate culture still hasn't mastered Web 1.0 yet.

3 comments:

Meerkatdon said...

Hope springs eternal. I guess I was just having a crisis of confidence, triggered by one too many "no, you can't do that" missives from the powers that be.

Back in prehistoric times, when I was younger than you are now and even newer at the game, I went to a statewide conference and heard a speaker talk about a controversial subject on which our system was still in the dark ages. Afterwards, I went up to the speaker and complimented her on her remarks. She said, "Which system are you from?"

When I told her, she nodded and said, "I'm sorry. But don't worry, he can't live forever." Both of us knew which "he" she meant.

And guess what? He didn't live forever, and our system changed its policy.

So you're right, things can always change. I may be retired first, but you youngsters will benefit. Thanks for reminding me to hope.

tk42 said...

There's always a crisis before the storm! Or is that: it's always darkest before the silver lining? Something like that. I think that all of the things going down right now could be leaving room for some major changes. Maybe not, but I can be hopeful.

I fully agree with your thoughts on administration and Web 1.0. I mean, seriously, faxing announcements? On the other hand, we can complain here without fear of reciprocity.

The EEB said...

One of these day, my friend, the inmates are going to take over the asylum.