05 June 2008

RSS

I love RSS. Years ago I set up a "My Yahoo" page that basically serves as my daily newspaper. Among other things, it had 26 RSS feeds.

Now it has more. I've added our own Web 2.0 Exploration blog, and a selection of fellow explorers' blogs.

As to what the library could do with RSS, the options are unlimited, really. As other folks have said, we could have feeds of upcoming events (systemwide, area-wide, and branch-specific, so patrons could choose the ones that were most relevant to them). I also like the idea of a feed of new titles...surely that could be automated through Sirsi? Someone should ask our Sirsi rep about it...fellow named McGarty, isn't he? :)

The Board President's message from Happenings -- couldn't that be put on a blog, and thence available on RSS?

The kewl thing about RSS is that it's literally as easy as setting up a blog. Well, okay, it's a little harder, because it has to be kept up-to-date...which has always been a challenge for our system. I know the feeling of disappointment when you look at your feeds and one of them has the same five posts, week after week....

BTW, you can add RSS feeds to the sidebar of your own blog. Take a look to the right....

1 comment:

A. L. said...

I've been reading people's posts via GoogleReader, and the sad thing is I miss stuff like your twitter and flickr and librarything side bars. I guess I'll have to visit the real blog once in a while...