26 June 2008

Anonymity

I figured out a way we can refer to our branches and still keep anonymity. We can just use code names! Think of it as secret identities for our branches.

Here's a list that I came up with, including cute three-letter codes:

WST (West Street)
CSC (Cape S.C.)
BCY (Big City)
BOW (Bowie)
HIL (Hillsmere)
MAY (Mayo)
AIR (Airport)
LAU (Laurel)
GIB (Gibson)
HAR (Harundale)
FTM (Fort M)
PAS (Pasadena)
MCK (McKinsey)
DEA (Deale)
PIN (Piney)

It's easy enough for us to figure out which branch is which (especially in the order I've given them), but it would take a lot of detective work for someone from outside to sleuth it all out. (Not that I'm challenging anyone, of course.)

So now the world can know that I work at BCY, that hravan and bookpusher and the others work at MAY, and that our patron saint and den mother, orangerful, hails from CSC.

And HDQ? It doesn't really need a secret identity, does it?

6 comments:

Bob Erle said...

With the issues surrounding the internal blog at BOW we have to be discreet. :)

Sheesh now I need to go check my permissions....

A. L. said...

Hm, maybe it's because I'm not a native to this region, but I only "get" about 1/2 of those. I suppose I can logically figure it out, but on the other hand, would an outside person know the difference between GIB and MTR?

...Although I like my branch's new code, as it's the name of a character I like in a mystery series by Aaron Elkins. :-)

Happier Blue said...

At last, all can be revealed! I'm floating in on thin AIR...glad that these clever codes came too late for me to sign on as Airhead. :)

Meerkatdon said...

I think the anonymity is a good thing, on balance.

Plus, part of the whole Web 2.0 social networking experience is creating and maintaining an online persona (or personae), gaining an appreciation of how the whole online thing is both like and unlike the Real World. And how much fun it can be to assemble different parts of your Real World personality into the persona that you want to project online.

Maybe that's what's really behind renaming our branches...creating online "persona" for them as well as for us. (Hmmm, maybe I shluld have come up with one for HDQ after all.) Plus, it was fun.

Bob Erle said...

There is a song by Brad Paisley called Online that speaks to the advantages of online anonymity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcVnhNjWV0

Enjoy!

Emeraldmist Nightfire said...

Will have to celebrate National Pirate Day for sure here in HAR

(Har, Har, Aaaargh!!)