10 June 2008

Social Networking Sites

I think Facebook and MySpace are popular among tweens and teens because such sites provide a way for the kids to be creative and express their individuality...while at the same time staying connected with their friends.

That adolescent/teen time is so filled with the tension between individuality and conformity. ("Why can't you be unique and original like everyone else?") A kid sees a friend put up a picture of his dog on his page, and the kid thinks, "Okay, I'll put up three pictures of my dog doing tricks." Then a third friend says, "I'll make a movie of my cat doing tricks and put that up."

I've seen kids spend their whole hour of pc time working on getting the background of their MySpace page just right, or asking another kid "How did you get it to do that?" It's all about fitting in while being yourself.

(And face it, aren't some of us doing the same thing right now with our blogs? We see something kewl on Chocolate Chai, and we want to do something similar on our own blog.)

Still, I'm an old fogey at heart, and I just don't have the passion (or the time)(or the energy) for MySpace or Facebook the way all these young whippersnappers do. Back in my day, if we wanted to be social, we gathered in Jim Cummings' parents' basement and watched Saturday Night Live. (This was in between walking 12 miles to school in the driving snow and working ten hours a day in the factory, thank you very much.) :)

2 comments:

Meerkatdon said...

I think you're absolutely right. I'm of an earlier generation -- when my high school crowd split up to go to different colleges, we didn't have online avenues of communication. But we sure would have used them to keep in touch.

(We managed, somehow...this year all of those high school kids are turning 50, and we're still in touch with one another. We use email a lot, but haven't progressed to Twitter or Facebook yet.)

Anonymous said...

I really like Facebook and I'm much older than 25! My kids are embarassed that I have one - they think it is only for teens! (They also think I use it to spy on them but that's another story...)

I think it's a great way to keep in touch - it's fun, visual, and creative.